Our client is a municipal authority providing Public housing services in the northeastern state of United States that owns more than 10,000 affordable housing units, serving around 100,000 citizens. It is one of the largest housing authorities in the US.
To consolidate its leadership position in the affordable housing industry and stay ahead of the constantly changing business environment, the client decided to upgrade its existing version of PeopleSoft HCM. The opportunity to eliminate unwieldy customizations, streamline workflows, and introduce more user-friendly systems, combined with Oracle’s discontinuation of support for older PeopleSoft versions, were key drivers in the client’s decision to upgrade to PeopleSoft HCM v9.2.
The primary focus of this project was a technical upgrade of PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 and PeopleTools v8.49 to PeopleSoft HCM v9.2 and PeopleTools v8.54. The modules to be upgraded included Core HR, Base benefits, Benefits Administration, Payroll for North America, Administer Workforce, Administer Training, Talent Acquisition Management (TAM), Monitor Absence, and bolt on modules for ESS/MSS and Reports.
- An extremely aggressive target go-live date.
- The system in use was outdated and maintained by multiple stakeholders, making it difficult for the client’s IT team to finish the FIT/GAP analysis and prepare the keep-drop customization list.
- This further complicated the Comprobase team’s retrofitting and testing process.
- Customizations implemented on an incoherent basis in the past resulted in a lack of proper documentation hindering the upgrade process.
- The upgrade involved a two-step upgrade from PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 to v9.0, which represented a huge architectural change, and then a second upgrade from v9.0 to v9.2.
Comprobase initiated the project with a comprehensive requirements gathering process and then went on to a recommended upgrade approach, end state architecture design, FIT/GAP analysis, keep/drop customizations decisions matrix, robust test strategy, and an implementation plan.
Using our proprietary upgrade methodology, Comprobase implemented a two-step upgrade process, first from the PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 to v9.0, and then from v9.0 to v9.2, using Oracle-recommended upgrade tools – Change Assistant and PUM images.
The continuous involvement of the client’s IT team at every stage of the upgrade process enabled complete and timely knowledge transfer. We also conducted early user previews of the application to avoid any requirement gaps.
Comprobase organized multiple user sessions to get them accustomed to the new application and interface. In addition, we delivered detailed and comprehensive user training programs by deploying the ‘Train the Trainer’ approach.